percy-l - [percy-l] Walker Percy Loves You: Another Precinct Heard From

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Charles Lowry <lowry.charles AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Walker Percy Loves You: Another Precinct Heard From
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 18:27:52 -0400

One of our community members is shy about posting but has, I think, insight worth reading.  I adduce the thoughts here as intermediary:

<<I only wondered, would Percy like me as a reader. As a person, I have no idea.
Since I am mostly a political animal with a generous belief in the Almighty, I guess for Percy I would do, but who knows?  But I wonder if he would like me as a reader. I find him funny, over my head and yet simple. Because for me it all boils down to the endings of his six novels. The endings seem to come to the same conclusion each time, one way or another:

Get over yourself, care for someone else and prepare yourself to accept G-d's grace.

Is that too simplistic? Is it incorrect?  I don't know if it says anything of merit.  If you think it does, I give you permission to share it in part or in full on the List.>>

Chuck Lowry

  • [percy-l] Walker Percy Loves You: Another Precinct Heard From, Charles Lowry, 08/07/2021