percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy Loves You etc.

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Doug Brown <wply1223 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy Loves You etc.
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 15:43:05 -0400

I have received a number of encouraging comments from readers in the Percy-L community, either here at the listserv or directly to my email. All of them have delighted me, but perhaps none have delighted me more than this one from Mr Lowry. (I hope this community will forgive me - a newbie here - for a bit of fanboy gushing: the novelist Ron Rash left me a charming and funny voicemail telling me how much he enjoyed my book.)

Part of what I appreciate about Chuck Lowry's posting is that he seems to lean into the irony that is ingrained in Percy's writing. Would Walker Percy love either me or Mr Lowry? Was Percy as misanthropic as some of his writing might suggest? Or was his misanthropy an ironic veneer? Percy certainly loved his characters and had compassion for them.

And did Walker Percy have a plan for our lives? I'll hazard a guess that his left eyelid would start to twitch at the suggestion. Clearly, the title of my book is an ironic play on the old _expression_ that God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. But any plan that Percy might have for us has less to do with moral dogma or a prescription for happiness, and has more to do with the frameworks we construct (or inherit) that shape how we see the narratives of our lives.

That's what I appreciate most about Mr Lowry's post. He acknowledges what I see as the key point of my book: that language and literature and narrative all matter - whether it is the poetry and stories that we read, or it is the stories we tell ourselves and each other about our own lives.

Thank you, Chuck Lowry.

Doug Brown
Asheville, NC
Walker Percy Loves You and Has a Wonderful Plan for Your Life