percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy and Bukgakov

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Jim Forest <jhforest AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy and Bukgakov
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:11:11 +0100

Thanks, Janet, for the googling you did. It’s interesting to see WP’s “Moviegoer” and Bulgakov’s “Master & Margarita” on the same books-to-be-read lists.

I note there is no mention of Bukgakov in either the Tolson or Samway biographies of WP, though lots of references to Dostoevsky (much more than to Tolstoy, which isn’t surprising).

What made me think of “Master and Margarita” while rereading “Love in the Ruins” is not only the huge role “the devil himself” plays in both books but the very similar -- how to put it? -- theologies of the devil. For example (on page 363 of the FSG edition) we hear Art Immelman, the devil, declare: “Doc, we operate on a cardinal principle, which we never violate. We never ‘do’ anything to anybody.’ We only help people do what they want to do…. Doc, we’re dedicated to the freedom of the individual to chose his own destiny and develop his potential.”

How similar are the implicit heavenly guidelines that govern and limit Bulgakov’s devil, Woland, and how apt that novel’s epigraph (from Faust): “I am part of that power which eternally desires evil and eternally works good.”

It would be fun doing a paper comparing WP’s Art Illelman and Bulgakov’s Woland.

Jim

PS Here is a list of pages that have key references to Art Immelman in the FSG edition of LITR: 165, 200, 208, 233, 252, 328, 336, 363, 364, 368-9, 376 and 389.

* * *