percy-l - [percy-l] re Percy and Bukgakov

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Jim Forest <jhforest AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] re Percy and Bukgakov
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:36:53 +0100

dear fellow appreciators of Walker Percy,

I’ve just finished rereading “Love in the Ruins” -- my fourth or fifth reading since the book was published in 1971 -- and find it even funnier and more on target than I did during earlier readings.

On this reading I was struck by how Percy’s portrait of the devil resembles the devil in Bulgakov’s novel “The Master and Margarita.” Is that a book Percy was familiar with? Did he ever write about or discuss Bulgakov?

Jim Forest

* * *

All Is Grace: a biography of Dorothy Day:
http://www.jimandnancyforest.com/2006/03/24/all-is-grace/

Saint George and the Dragon
http://www.jimandnancyforest.com/2011/04/04/saint-george-and-the-dragon/

Jim's books: www.jimandnancyforest.com/books/
Jim & Nancy web site: www.jimandnancyforest.com
Photo collections: www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/collections/
On Pilgrimage blog: http://jimandnancyonpilgrimage.blogspot.com/
A Tale of Two Kidneys blog: http://ataleof2kidneys.blogspot.com/
In Communion site: www.incommunion.org

Jim & Nancy Forest
Kanisstraat 5 / 1811 GJ Alkmaar / The Netherlands

* * *