percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Hello from a new member.

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Dye, Steve" <sldye AT bluegrass.org>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Hello from a new member.
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:59:03 -0500

Welcome to the list. I have been a “contributor’ for several years and enjoy the posts by scholars who are far more knowledgeable about Percy and related subjects. I had the great fortune to stumble on to Percy while on vacation in New Orleans in 1988 and was looking for something interesting to read by the pool. I picked up “Lost in the Ruins” and was totally enthralled by it (and by Tom Moore!) and then proceeded to read all of his novels and his essays. I particularly enjoyed “Lost in the Cosmos” as I am in the mental health field. It was by turns, very insightful and very funny. In my humble opinion, Percy, sadly, seems to be falling out of favor to some extent, although with the current state of the economy and the massive uncertainty in the world, “Lost in the Ruins” seems more pertinent and “relevant” than ever.

Steven L. Dye, MA

Director

Bluegrass MH-MR Board, Inc.

1500 Leestown Road, Suite 338