percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Palahniuk

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Wade Riddick <wriddick AT usa.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Palahniuk
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 18:41:48 -0500

>List,
>
>Just been reading _Survivor_ by Palahniuk.
>
>Many echos of Percy.
>
>Wonder if he ever read Percy?
>
>Such lines as "It's weird how the name outlives the person, the signifier
>outlasts the signified, the symbol the symbolized." (p.88 _Survivor_)
>speak to a common source.
>
>Any one know if Palahniuk ever spoke of Percy?

No, but I just saw _Fight Club_ again the other night and his attack on the
spiritual corrosiveness of consumer credit appears, in retrospect,
materially prophetic. We seem to be stuck in one of those periodic
economic crises where all the supposedly "sin-less" businessmen have
awakened to the fact that their ticker symbols and other financial
instruments have drifted far afield of the underlying reality they were
supposed to represent.