percy-l - Re: [percy-l] ??

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Tommy Armstrong" <tfa AT brickengraver.com>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] ??
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:28:43 -0400

Maybe another "Group Read" is in order. Just a simple little thing where
everyone who wants to participate agrees to read the same book and comment
on it. I think another group was doing this a while back but cannot find the
link. Any help? I am a big Patrick O'Brian fan, and we have a really active
(sometimes overactive) group that discusses POB and everything else. If any
of y'all have not ever read him, I would highly recommend. Percy and
O'Brian, I think share much --both being Roman Catholics and both having an
interest in the intersection of science, religion, and the individual.
Percy, in some book, perhaps LITC, says that he could sit down and on an
individual one on one basis relate to even a Kluxer, an individual as far
removed from his politics as can be- The Aubrey Maturin series taken
together is certainly in my opinion one of the greatest literary works of
20th century. Aubrey and Maturin are just two such characters, as different
as a "right winger" and a "left winger", that come together to form perhaps
the best friendship in all of literature.

Tommy Armstrong
PO Box 484
Lillington, NC 27546
(910) 893-5508
www.brickengraver.com

"If you are a big enough fool to climb a tree and like a cat refuse to come
down, then someone who loves you has to make as big a fool of himself to
rescue you"
Walker Percy