percy-l - Re: [percy-l] ps

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] ps
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:21:38 -0400

Richard,

This passage is the one I was referring to (chapter four, section four).

Thanks again.
-David

Quoting "Warren, Jr., Richard F" <rwarren AT boultcummings.com>:

David,

I think that the passage you are seeking (good Percy term) is in Section
4 of Chapter 4 of The Last Gentleman, that most autobiographical of
Percy novels (page 196 in my copy), in which we observe Will:

Naturally in such an intersubjective paradise as this, he soon got the
proper horrors. He began to skid a little and catch up with himself
like a car on ice. His knee leapt so badly that he had to walk like a
spastic, hand thrust through pocket and poking patella with each step.
Spotting oncomers, fifty, sixty, seventy feet away, he began grinning
and composing himself for the encounter. "Hi!" he hollered, Oh Lord, a
good twenty feet too soon.

The reminds me of another passage that I can't find (one of my two
favorite WP paragraphs) with a Percy protagonist who notes that he
always says "Hi" a step too soon or a step too late, distinguighing
himself from those "hard-drinking Sewanee lads, gentle with women,
secure in their own good names," who have that rhythm down. Anyone
remember that one?

Richard

Richard F. Warren

Boult, Cummings, Conners & Berry, PLC