percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lancelot the Jihadist

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Nikkibar AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: jamdi AT bellsouth.net, marcus AT loyno.edu
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lancelot the Jihadist
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:22:56 EST

I would dissent from mr. Larson's view that Walker is speaking through Lancelot, a mistake that even learned critics have been making for years. this awlays puzzled Walker after the publication of the book with the same puzzzlement Socrtes must have felt as they passed him the hemlock.

"Don't folks know irony when they see it?" opined WP. I would remeark that the reasson for the mistake is that there is something so appealing in the Lance character that put s the reader on his side despite his nihilism in the latter passages of the book.

Walker was by my personal observation of him, much taken with the Vatican II changes at a time when lots of RCs in Covington were not. I  mean to check these observations with others and supplement this hereafter.

Nikki Barranger