percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 7

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Kenneth Ketner <kenneth.ketner AT ttu.edu>
  • To: marcus AT loyno.edu, Percy-L AT lists.ibiblio.org:Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 7
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:25:21 -0500

Greetings folks: If memory serves, Jaynes's book came out in 1976. That would be a long time after Percy presented with an interest in Peirce (as the MDs would phrase it). Father Samway in his introduction for THIEF OF PEIRCE makes a strong case that 1947 would have been the start of WP's awareness of CSP. There is clear evidence in WP's own hand that he had thought long and hard about Peirce by the late 1950s (see posthumous publication of WP's typescript entitled "Peirce and Modern Semiotic" in Doubletake Magazine, pp. 52 f., Winter 2002). This WP ms is an important item for Percy scholarship because it had laid around un-noticed until recently, perhaps un-noticed because it appeared to lack an ending for the essay. I found that adding three words produced a very plausible ending, so I persuaded Dr. Coles to publish it in Doubletake. Unfortunately for scholarship, Doubletake fell into hard economic times, and this particular issue may not have been distributed as widely as previous issues. Anyway, I have copies, and now that Doubletake is back in business, having teamied with another mag, perhaps you all can help me be sure that this publication of a lost gem can get noticed and used by the Percy scholars. Maybe some of the folks at the Percy website can get this item from Doubletake up as a readable pdf.
Ken Ketner

Marcus wrote:

Two notes to Karey Perkins' interesting remarks about Percy
and Jaynes.

1. "So yes, maybe that was the little clue [in Jaynes] that
led Percy down the rabbit trail to Peirce?" I am very
confident that Percy was into and onto Peirce quite a long
time before he encountered Jaynes.

2. Another fragment floating out of my memory hole is that
Percy wasn't for a moment to reduce the OT prophets into
"something like a schizophrenic hearing voices."
Marcus

PS I don't have a copy of OCBCM nearby. If you have a
moment Karey, check to see if JJ says anything about Allah
dictating the Koran directly to Muhammad.

-

--
Kenneth Laine Ketner
Paul Whitfield Horn Professor
Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-0002
806 742 3128
Office email: kenneth.ketner AT ttu.edu
Home email: ketner AT arisbeassociates.com
Office website: http://www.pragmaticism.net
Personal website: http://www.wyttynys.net