percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Kramer's new book

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Lawrence Rhu" <rhul AT gwm.sc.edu>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Kramer's new book
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:58:35 -0500

Re Kramer, a thought:

Kramer, in my reading, early and late, never imagines doing without the
therapy of conversation, however helpful, even transformative, pharmaceutical
intervention may be. Who would deny anti-depressants to the soul seriously
afflicted with a mood disorder that strands it unreachably in silence and/or
circularity, the treadmill of despair? But their possible effectiveness is a
point of departure for productive talk as a means of care and healing, for
relationship and community both adaptive and beyond adaptation. Such
therapeutic conversations, I assume, would be triadic exchanges between
animals that talk, like you and me, embedded in the symbolic economy of
language, which Helen Keller discovers so decisively for Percy. Kramer is
undeniably utopian, and he characterizes his book as polemical (e.g., who's
for depression?), which isn't a conversible mode. He is also well aware of
increasingly fine calibrations, observations, etc. that go with brain-imaging
technology and computer-processing of data, so he celebrates the measurable,
the quantifiable, as knowledge of great significance, but not as enough in
itself to see the soul on its way through many dark passages. For this
reason, Carl Elliott's end of this literary conversation (specifically with
Kramer and about Percy) warrants a thoughtful hearing. There is a dialogue
between the two of them, and often thanks to Percy, that moves the pertinence
of Percy's distinction(dyadic/triadic) into the world many of us nowadays
inhabit for better or for worse.

Larry

Lawrence F. Rhu
Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Tel: 803 777 0144
Fax: 803 777 9064
Email: rhul AT sc.edu

>>> rgeckert AT yahoo.com 12/15/05 11:41 AM >>>
It is from "Is a Theory of Man Possile" which is in _Signposts in a Strange
Land_.

J Rivas-Pita <juliorivas AT gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Robert,

In case you could spare a few minutes, could you tell us something
more on the last quote from Percy, "I can even visualize..."? Is the
essay (or interview) it comes from available online?

Many thanks and all best wishes,

Julio

--
Be Happy! (Fr. Benito Ballesteros, OSB, 1924-1996)
Sé feliz! (P. Benito Ballesteros, OSB, 1924-1996)

Yahoo! Shopping