percy-l - Re: [percy-l] hurricanes

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: J Rivas-Pita <juliorivas AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] hurricanes
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:59:16 -0400

Mr. Pauley, I've seen often that when some members of this list subtly want to dismiss as irrelevant something posted by some other member, they -quite politely, á la Anglaise- address the mentioned member as "Mr. -----", while the rest of the time it's just Tom, Willie or Jack -more brotherly fashion, that is to say, "We", as opposite to "They". Just some food for thought, á la Percy...

This said, Mr. Pauley, your remark of "inept, third-world city hall" is extremely peculiar, given the fact that all over he world we are watching with utter dismay -via CNN, for instance- the grossly inept (not to say criminal) reaction or lack of reaction of Mr. Bush's administration and the also grossly inept (not to say criminal) lack of preparation to cope with what was for weeks an announced disaster -not something unexpected as a tsunami or an earthquake.

Among those who are doing something for the victims is, Mr. Pauley, Venezuela, which has already donated $ 1 million dollars via Citgo and which is still waiting the approval of Mr. Bush's administration to fly in a highly experienced and skilled rescue team, an offer that was made the day after Katrina struck.

So perhaps Mr. Pauley you'd do well to think twice in the future when you emply the term "third world" in such a stereotyped way. You might find yourself surprised to discover that you too are living these days in a third world country -if you still have doubts about it, please turn on your TV set...

With all best wishes,

Julio Rivas-Pita