percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Patrick Lynch <padraig AT well.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:12:56 -0700

David:
My familiarity with Girard comes out of "translations" of his ideas by Gil Bailie and Richard Rohr, OFM. Most specifically, Girard's _Violence Unveiled_, which is a survey of Girard's views as seen from the vantage point of Biblical history and even the work of Bob Dylan. Unfortunately, I cannot read French and have _Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World_ waiting for me on my bookshelf. While my high school students may not be ready for Bailie or Girard, I find the 3rd chapter of _Violence Unveiled_ very valuable.

It's the first week of school and I am utterly haunted by the horrors of the Gulf Coast area (Why is help taking so long? Why isn't the media asking the class or race questions?) I know these are not direct Percy points, but I think there are parallels. Your point about mimetic desire would be a lovely thread at which to pull. Surely this applies to Tom More and the man on the train (pre-crash) and even Will Barrett.

Sorry it took it little longer to get back to this discussion.
P.