percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:28:27 -0700

Here in Arizona, my students are trying to wrap their minds around the devastation and find themselves unable to make a complete connection. A few, who had dreamed of attending Tulane, realize that their own hopes have been dashed. I hope by extension they can begin to understand the utter devastation those students who would have been their classmates are facing. For the most part, though, hurricanes are the stuff of movies and, for most of them, so is New Orleans (along with Mississippi and Alabama). The images they see in the newspapers and on tv are somehow cheapened by the special effects wizardry that their usual fare consists of. Tomorrow, I'll give them excerpts from Percy's "New Orleans, Mon Amour" with the hope that his descriptions of New Orleans in all its vitality (and troubles) can do what images cannot--that words can bridge the gap. I guess that's what makes Percy so good--at least for me. When reading him the gaps are bridged. The reference to his "Man on the Train" essay reminds me of his theory that a true literature of alienation does not exist because the novel about the alienated person forges a connection with the alienated reader, thereby dispelling alienation. It seems my students are alienated from this tragedy--I hope Percy will do the trick.

In the meantime, I watch this list, encouraged by your words, and searching for the same names we're all looking for, and I pray.

A final question: If Girard connects with Percy, which of Girard's works makes for a good first time experience?