percy-l - Re: [percy-l] language theory

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz_2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] language theory
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:39:59 -0500

Karey,

Sorry for the delay. I routinely filter all of my Percy-l and Peirce-l stuff into one mailbox and given the volume on the latter (that I haven't kept up with at all, of late), I missed your message until now.

I'll be interested in hearing about the pearls that you find in your new library collection. Speaking as one amateur to another (in the classical sense of the word, of course..) it seems as if you have a good survey -- though I have to admit I am not familiar with most, except possibly to recognize their names. Others that I've been impressed with: The Atoms of Language by Mark G. Baker (he's a Chomskyan, but I don't hold that against him), and I'm also fascinated by Michael Arbib (various papers and books), and Rudi Keller (A Theory of Linguistic Signs).

I find that the difficulty with this area is that it is so interdisciplinary (by virtue of its being so innate to being human, I'm assuming). So many books, so little time.. I also agree with your supposition of Percy's reputation, but given the segmentation of this whole area, I think the implicit 'dissing' of others outside one's own area is probably not limited to Percy. The linguists, semioticians, and philosophers are so busy ignoring each other that you'd think they wouldn't even have time to ignore Percy :-).

FYI, Lonergan was a Jesuit theologian (I try not to hold that against him, either :-), at his prime in the 1940's-70's, who stumbled into the area of cognition after doing an eleven year study of Aquinas and realizing how intertwined Aquinas' work was with human psychology/cognition. To that point of view, he is an even more contemporary researcher mining the scholastics (who have also endured their share of 'dissing' in turn) than Peirce was . I also lean a bit more towards Aquinas vs Scotus now, as a result.

Minsky is one of the legends of the MIT-instantiations/institution of Artificial Intelligence. Very good 'disser', I might add..

I'm not quite sure how to answer your dyadic/triadic question. I struggle with it, as well. Needless to say, there have been many much smarter than me who've tackled it and lost. The way I like to think about it is that certain things are irreducibly triadic, e.g. tool-making: I'm riding my bike through the woods when the bolt holding the pedals opposite each other works itself out (because it has lost the nut). I can't pedal without reinserting the bolt (and it needs to be forcibly inserted). I have a goal that I want to accomplish (reinserting the bolt), I have a set of objects within my grasp that I could readily employ (hands, pocket knife, sticks, rocks, whatever else is around), and I have a role that I want it to play (in this case, as a hammer). This goal, the object employed, and the role in which it is employed are a triad, corresponding to Peirce's Interpretant, Object, and Representamen. Depending on which two of the triad are available (e.g. goal and object) you are deriving the third (e.g. role for the object to adopt). Depending which two you have, you get a specific type of reasoning (in the toolmaking case, it is inductive). Approaching from the other two directions gives you deductive or abductive reasoning (deductive, would be following a trail marker that someone had set up -- you have a role, and an object and are deriving a goal). It kind of works for me, but it's also very difficult to parse these labels correctly sometimes, as well. Something about being too near to the problem, I think. There are also definite analogues between the linguistic and physical domains, it would appear.

Mike