percy-l - [percy-l] euthanasia, handicap and Nazis (Nazis?! I *hate* Nazis!)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Wade Riddick <wriddick AT usa.net>
  • To: Walker Percy List <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] euthanasia, handicap and Nazis (Nazis?! I *hate* Nazis!)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:06:48 -0600

There's an interesting article written by an atheist disabled advocate who
went to a Princeton debate to oppose the "humane" killing of "hopelessly"
disabled infants. It's a rather interesting melange of things which might
be of interest to the list.

I'd merely add that whenever you get into a debate with a utilitarian,
you're dead the moment you allow them to assume that people should get what
they want. That means suffering doesn't necessarily make you a "worse
person." Sometimes, as hard as it is to understand, it makes you better.
Oh, yeah. There's no such a thing as rational decision-making in human
beings. Doesn't exist empirically. Desires always conflict.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/16/magazine/16disabled.html

"If talk didn't matter, would you make it your life's work?"

  • [percy-l] euthanasia, handicap and Nazis (Nazis?! I *hate* Nazis!), Wade Riddick, 02/18/2003