percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Re:Seminal events of consciousness

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Re:Seminal events of consciousness
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:19:48 -0500

Dear Jim,

You said "Granted the world may exist apart from our collective
consciousness of it (indeed I believe probably does) but I don't think we
can prove this and at a minimum I think there is an enormous difference
between our unconscious experiences of events and our conscious experience
of them."

Yes. This is precisely my point. However, I think we can still demonstrate
the nature of the thing. Take the following analogy: Light that is emitted
from a source can't be used to illuminate the source of the light. In the
same way, the words that we use can't be used to "illuminate" the "source"
of the words. The source exists independently of the words and furthermore
defies our attempts to render it in form. Again, I think poetry is the
finest example of this. Poets, even the good ones, or perhaps especially the
good ones, know that they are ultimately powerless to name. They know that
the things most in need of naming can't be rendered in form. That is the
tragic condition of the Poet. Poet's know they are trapped.

You also said "I have been trying to suggest that it is representation
itself (symbolization) that provides the added dimension of awareness."

Yes, exactly. It does provide the added dimension of awareness. I don't
think a FORMED or FORMULABLE awareness of the world is possible without
symbols. Helen Keller comes to mind. And, like Percy I think there is a
bootstrapping effect, i.e. the words provide a vessel for meaning, and
meaning fills the vessel (This image of a vessel works nicely, I think,
because Percy was also interested in how words can be "emptied out" or
"evacuated" or "cracked and leaking". If they can be emptied, WHAT is being
poured out?). My point is that there remain things that we want to say about
the world that no symbol fully comprehends. In this way, the mind is
ultimately intractable and unnamable.

You said, " I credit Percy with expressing this view in a very compelling
way. Had he lived long enough I think he would have eventually come full
circle and converted to Judaism but that is another story with a very long
radius".

Hmmm. I dunno Jim. Percy couldn't really have converted to Judaism since he
already considered himself Jewish. He was Catholic, yes, but he understood
Catholicism, I think rightly, as the fulfillment of the Jewish drama, God's
story. In converting to Catholicism, he converted to the whole story.

"You then go on to say (if I am understanding you) that we since we are all
talking with you we must all be talking about what you are talking about or
else how could we all be talking to one another. And since you are talking
about is God we must all be talking about God."

You're close to my meaning, Jim, but your misunderstanding about what I mean
by "God" only serves to further illustrate my point, and I think Percy's
point. God is not limited in scope but infinite, and therefore ultimately
unnamable. (Similarly, Saussure ultimately considered meaning
"unrecoverable". Though, I wonder if he knew just how apt the word
"unrecoverable" was in relation to the Fall; he sensed that something had
been lost and needed recovering). So when we use the very word "God", we are
referring to that incomprehensible infinity, that unfathomable nexus of
being, thought, power, love, goodness, beauty, truth, justice, etc. This is
the realm of consciousness (which literally means "to know together") that I
am getting at. We know it. We try to name it. Our words ultimately fail.
Trying to name God is a slippery thing. What I meant by God was the
unnamable.

Cheers!
Steve