percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Re:Seminal events of consciousness

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Re:Seminal events of consciousness
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:01:48 -0500

Karey, I think you misunderstand me on at least two counts: First, the word
consciousness; second the word knowing. I'll address "knowing" first because
it segues into my discussion of consciousness. You said, "So for Percy,
symbol was not an event that happens so we can RELATE, but an event that
happens so we can KNOW." But, I don't think this is entirely accurate.

Know and relate: You make a mutually exclusive distinction here, but I don't
think these words are unrelated.
For they are getting at the same thing. It's no coincidence that the words
"know" and "relate" are used interchangeably in some instances, particularly
in the scriptures. A fitting example for the season: Mary emphatically
questions, "How can this be when I have not known man." She of course,
means that she hasn't had sexual relations with any men -the most corporeal
form of intersubjectivity of inter-knowing, of inter-relating. She did not
relate (sexually) with man. She did not know man, so she could not
"conceive". (Though, she did conceive the Word, because she knew God in a
very particular way). Knowing precedes "conceiving", or arriving at a
"concept". (See how I worked that back in:)).

Percy was primarily interested in the role of symbols in "intersubjectivity"
-in other words, relating. The knowing can only be understood in the
relating. As I said in a previous email, "There could be no misunderstanding
[in our discussion] if the meaning of the word was, as you suggest, the word
itself. We all have to agree on the meaning of a word in order for it to be
useful. Hence, meaning is independent of the representation of it. It can
only be achieved in the context of relationship."

That concept is worth repeating: "meaning is independent of the
representation of it". I say it is worth repeating because I think we are
actually DEMONSTRATING this principle in this discussion. I'm fairly certain
that you are not fully understanding my point, and I don't think it's
completely the fault of my inability to write. You see, I think we are
mostly in agreement about what it is we are trying to get at here, even Jim
with his rocks, but the "thing" still keeps evading us, and has evaded the
most salient minds of our species, and I'm willing to wager will continue to
evade us. Yet we know its there. No words to capture it, but its there.

The "thing" (which may very well be unnamable) that is at the center of our
discussion is something we are attempting to reveal to each other -relation.
We use words like awareness, consciousness, thought, sense, knowing, etc.
However, I don't think any of these words adequately name what it is we (at
least I) are trying to describe. Nevertheless, something is there and we are
trying to reveal it to each other. In other words, we KNOW, its there, we
SENSE its there, its our THOUGHT, our CONSCIOUSNESS, our AWARENESS. Its
there even though these words are insufficient to name it. The meaning
precedes, and is independent of, our attempts to represent it. Naturally...
it's God. Yahweh. The unnamable (Old testament). That which cannot be named.
(I-Ching).

I am still working this stuff out, and so I am certain that I have failed
again to make my point (not MY point really).

Have to run.

Cheers!
Steve

Thanks Karey,

Another thought occurred to me at Mass this morning during the Nicene Creed.
Christ -THE word-was "begotten, not made". Maybe, since we are created in
his likeness, our words (and other symbols) work like this also. That is, we
"conceive" them like children. Concepts, names for things, are born in our
minds; they are begotten, not made.
Steve