percy-l - Re: Reading list in order...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reading list in order...
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:02:29 -0500 (EST)

Chris,
Yes, it sounds as if your ideas are the other side of the proverbial coin.
My focus was on the main characters and, it sounds like, you are showing
intersubjectivity from the secondary characters. An interesting
perspective. One member of my grad committee thought that I was too much
in agreement with Percy and didn't offer enough challenges to his ideas.
But, as I saw it, it wasn't as if I hadn't thought about weaknesses in his
philosophy; it was just that, from the first time I read Percy (Love in
the Ruins, which was introduced to me while I was an undergrad by the
professor who made the above criticism), I realized that I had found
a--sorry for the cliche--kindred soul. It was just as Percy said, in one
of the Conversation books, that a bored person on an ordinary Wednesday
reading a book about a bored person on an ordinary Wednesday makes a
connection (triadic?).
Anyway, it is goood to see that Marcel's books are becoming available once
again (both volumes of Mystery of Being are back in print--at a reasonable
price at that). I'd like to hear more of your ideas.
-David