percy-l - Re: Abduction, not kidnapping but guessing

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Abduction, not kidnapping but guessing
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:01:47 -0400

Ken,

I, too, appreciated the definition and it makes better sense now.  As I was reading Percy, I was getting the impression that "abduction" was "intuition" -- how different is that from "guessing?"  How would you differentiate the two, or would you?

Second question:  did PERCY publish in Doubletake in Winter 2002?  (Hmmm...he's been busy in the afterlife, hasn't he?) Or is this a chapter from his unpublished manuscript "Symbol and Existence"?  I saw that it is at UNC-Chapel Hill and wondered if it was worth the 8 hour drive to go look at it...has anyone read it/seen it?

The reason I ask is I think the dissertation is going to be on this topic after all -- Percy's semiotics, as it relates to Peirce, et al...really fascinating stuff, don't you think?  So I'll be reading your book(s) (Ken) and may have lots more questions but I'll try to keep them to a minimum!

Karey