percy-l - Re: Was Percy ever involved in the debate on molestations by Catholic priests?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Rhonda McDonnell" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT hotmail.com>
  • To: percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Was Percy ever involved in the debate on molestations by Catholic priests?
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 05:49:11 +0000

From: Wade Riddick <riddick AT mail.la.utexas.edu>
Inheritence is certainly important. The Catholic Church was also used to
settle bloody political disputes by the landed estates. If you were on a
losing side, you always had the opportunity to go into the monestary where
celibacy guaranteed you wouldn't have children to come back and reassert
your familial rights. It was a way to retire from the bloodlines of
nobility and make peace deals stick.

If we're speaking of the medieval church, we ought to keep in mind that, for a significant portion of the clergy, celibacy wasn't a doctrine that was kept. In fact, for just the reasons Wade has pointed out, the church was in far worse trouble then than it is now. And it survived, as it will now.

Rhonda