pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] 0.2.1

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] 0.2.1
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:12:56 -0500

Richard Morris writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > Hi y'all,
> >
> > Sorry if you've been getting messages from the issue tracker that say
> > it's fixed in 0.2.1 if you then found it wasn't so on dev. I didn't
> > quite get the release up there but am making good progress. If anyone
> > is desperate to see some of the new Bear style search results layout
> > look at <http://galatea.org/images/0_2_1.png>. Otherwise wait till
> > tomorrow.
> >

> Had a look at screen shot. Rather than
>
> View Parent -> Medicinal Uses
>
> I'd suggest using the Latin/Common name of plant. Say
>
> Salix alba -> medicinal uses
>
> Maybe just drop the family. Not the most vital of info.
>
> Rich

Bear and I have been having a longish off-list conversation about all
of this and we've kind of come to a similar conclusion that the
comments should point to the top level object they are attached too.
Most of the time this is a plant, but may not always be the case so we
can't assume this. I've added a method to get the root object and can
add another one to get a simple name for the object (genus species for
plants).

Releated to Rich's suggestion of dropping family and Stephanie's
concern that Family preceding Genus species is confusing, maybe it
would be best to have the first thing following the score be the
important link. Also dropping Author of the comment may help clear
things up, no? Something like:

***----- Plant: Salix alba -> Family: Salicaceae
**------ Comment: Medical Uses -> Plant: Salix alba
*------- Comment: This book rocks! -> Reference: Big Book O' Plants
*------- Comment: Author is clueless -> Comment: Poison Ivy is tasty

Anyway, I'm not going to change things (from screenshot) for 0.2.1 but
think this is good place for active discussion.