pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft adopts web file styles

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft adopts web file styles
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:39:40 -0400

John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,

*Microsoft is putting a key web technology at the heart of its most popular programs.*

By late 2006 all the files created by users of its Office suite of software will be formatted with web-centred XML specifications.

Ah yes, lagging behind the open source community (OpenOffice specifically) by a good handful of years, as usual...

Anyone want to start a pool on whether they'll create proprietary "extensions" to the international XML 'standard', just to jerk everyone around as usual?

Go ahead, call me cynical... ;-)

John S.

I think you'e right on target about that. They'll think of some way to "tweak" the standards enough to make things difficult.
Anyway, reading this article after the ones I posted earlier about the steel industry adopting XML for secure data sharing among
participating websites gave me a clearer view of what XML is all about.

I will want to use XML coding to redo my own commercial website which I will use to promote my market farm's produce and gardening hand tools I will make in my shop.
It will contain lots of photos and product information plus many links and references to other North Carolina businesses. I plan to move to Register.com for webhosting
as they offer a great del and run unix.

Can you recommend a good book on XML? I hand code using a good text editor like Textpad, Uedit or Notetab. Maybe I will need an XML editor.

Thanks for any feedback.