pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Threading

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Threading
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:20:56 -0600

John Schinnerer writes:
> Aloha,
>
> > Yep, I'd be happy to go with a thread per section.
> >
> > Maybe we could have a talk thread. This would be the default thread
> > so most comments would go here. Users could select a more specific
> > thread (eg Edible Uses) if they wish.
> >
> > One thing I get a LOT of is people asking where they can get plants
> > so it would be good to have a thread along that line.
>
> My question is, what is your proposed UI for these 'threads' of comments?
>
> That is, when I'm looking for info on some plant(s), how will these
> (threaded) comments be searched for, found and presented to me?

Responding [unquoted] to your March 30th comment as well John...

Maybe calling them threads is misleading. I was hoping to find a way
to focus comments topically without trying to figure out what the
pertinent topics would be before hand. Threading is a nice way to
correlate a comment with one or more other comments. Don't let the
nested structure we usually experience in threads mislead you. Our
*threads* could easily be completely flat and sorted by moderation
score. Maybe a better way to think of it is a series of comments on
an "open vocabulary" topic. Anyone can start a new topic though.

I am also not really excited about ending up with *talk* type content.
I think that moderation will sufficiently discourage it to establish a
norm of more serious info. Filtering by moderation will control
display enough to make it harmless. Also allowing edits and deletes
of stuff you post will allow you to respond to negative moderation by
removing your own cruft or re-editing it into something useful.

Not really sure how to handle the search info. One thing that is kind
of confusing is that comments always reference a parent object.
Should matching a comment add score to the comment, the parent, or
both? My take is both, but how much weight to each?... equal?