pcplantdb - Re: [piw] Re: [pcplantdb] relationships implementation

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] Re: [pcplantdb] relationships implementation
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:42:31 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

RichM:
>>The simplest form is
>>
>>object | links_to
>>-------------------
>>plant A | Plant A Guild
>>plant A | Plant B Guild
>>plant B | Plant B Guild

Backing up a bit... do we really have to manually define every
possible guild PIW is to represent??

I thought the idea was to develop a system that allowed people
to explore possible guilds. i.e. pull up several plants/objects
and compare their needs/benefits to see if they would be compatible.

Thanks for pointing this out Richard...
I also thought the idea was to create a system which could
extract/extrapolate guilds based on data stored about plants, with maybe a
few explicit examples of 'canned' guilds.

Yes a very good point.

I'm thinking from a technical pov, in if we are to have a concept like a guild (really a list of related plants), how could we represent this on a computer.

To my mind the simplest way is to have the guild as a seperate
object, linking to each plant. Other way to represent it get a bit complicated. It does not necessarily mean that the guild object is explicitly created. It would be technically posible to
have links like

plant A | Guild C
plant B | Guild C

but not actually create Guild C. If a user did click a link
a page just listing the plants linking to that guild could be automatically created.

And yes, another good reason to have at least a plain English document
that describes what it is we're actually trying to do here...

I supose thats whats happening. Trying to work out what were trying to do!

ttfn :-)