pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "Permaculture Plant Database" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Need build designation system + other notes on tracker
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:45:30 -1000 (HST)

Aloha...

...from Maui, where I'm visiting some vacationing relatives at their condo
on the beach...and woo hoo, they got high-speed here!

> My preference (only vaguely attached) is to use an X.Y.Z scheme
> (major.minor.build). In my head we are working toward a 1.0.0
> release, the current live version is 0.1.0, the current dev version is
> 0.1.5 or something, the next live version will be 0.2.0, and so on
> until we are done and 1.0.0 becomes the live version.

OK by me. Seems pretty standard for a lot of open source projects.
Anyone with urgent alternative suggestions please speak up ASAP.
Otherwise let's go with this.

> I can do tagged releases from now on so that we can clearly reference
> versions.

Great - please do, let's get in the habit... :-)

> Cvs is already setup on ibiblio. ...

Great.

> The docs could be included in the code repository or in a new and
> seperate package.

What are pros and cons of these two options?

Re cvs for docs, I'm not clear if we made any kind of group decision on
how to handle group-work documentation...?

I still firmly favor cross platform docs (e.g. OpenOffice/MSOffice and
similar) stored in a CVS for common access and don't favor a wiki.

cheers,