pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] XML vrs relational

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] XML vrs relational
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:59:26 +0000

Theres a nice discussion on slashdot about the advantages and disadvantages of relational and object (XML) databases.
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/10/2043202

The first comment:

> The thing the XML databases are nice for is if folks can't really lock down the schema.

Seems to sum it up for me.

Can we lock down the schema, do we want to? By this I mean do we want a fixed set of fields for tha plant data. If we do this it kind of locks down the database and the type of info which people can add, creating an inflexiable system.

When new data such as the tanplants data comes along it could be a big job to adapt a relational model to fit.

Apoligies for revisiting old ground.