pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] list of relationships?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] list of relationships?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:17:18 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:

Well, my recollection of previous discussions is that many of the list
members (myself included) were in favor of an "open vocabulary" method
of creating relationships (ala del.icio.us tagging) as opposed to
having a fixed list primarily because of the difficulty of creating
such a list without leaving a lot out... although I think it might
make sense to do some loose categorization such as positive, neutral,
and negative relationships. Having a "controlled vocabulary" in this
instance is also difficult for the authors in that they would then
need to pick the correct relationship from a very long list.
The obvious downsides in an "open vocabulary" of duplications and
synonyms should sort itself out if authors can add relationships
easily. I don't see duplications as a problem, but searching for an
absent synonym of an existing relationship is a correctable problem if
adding the synonym is simple enough.

John S. started such a list once, but you can infer from his list just
how massive such a completed list would be.

Stephanie Gerson writes:
> can someone help me find the post(s) - either on pcplantdb or piw - where > types of relationships were listed?
> > thanks,
> *Stephanie

Yes, I'd go with an open vocabulary. What might work is drop down list with current vocabulary, so users can either pick an existing item or enter a new one.

p.s. Can I take this opportunity to encourage to you to join our
friends of Plants For A Future membership scheme. Membership is only
£10 a year (£15 overseas) and we are trying to recruit 1000 friends
in the coming year. If we can reach this target then we will be
able to secure the land for our demonstration gardens and visitors
centre in Devon which could become a shining example of woodland
gardening, sustainability, and the use of perennial plants.
See http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/friends.html for details.

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719