pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Q2: what criteria do we want to record for plants.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:54:25 -0800

A solution I've though of to the Guild question is to treat a guild
as a seperate object or page in the database.

You can then have a relationship between a plant and the guild. And have some text in the Guild page describing the relationship in more depth.

One example of this is the "White Oak Guild" which I gleaned from Toby Hemingways work.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/pcplantdb/ showthing.php?BOTNAME=White+Oak%2FHazelnut+community

Currently we are lacking on much data about guilds, this is the only example I've been able to find.

It'd be great if we could have a guild object. Then other plants/relationships could have a "isMemberOf" relationship to the guild object. You'd get the full guild network pulled out of the DB by querying for isMemberOf = guildUID. Many-to-One. Something were the sub network of the guild contributes the information of the whole, but can be looked at individually. You could also find all the guilds who have a specific relationship or plant in them.

Cheers,
Bear