pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] random interesting day

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] random interesting day
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:54:14 -0600

... including fixing an odd bug my friend uncovered when using PIW.
Wouldn't display some plants for some reason and it turns out that it
was because when I scripted the creation of reference indexs based on
Ken Ferns notation of [45, 23, 9] to mean different reference books.
There were exactly 50 times when something matched the regular
expression but were not valid books (many of them dates it appeared).
The bad data made Eden crash... all better now.

Also I've been fiddling with a keepalive script for my Zoom X5 adsl
modem; an utter piece of shit. One thing led to another and now I
have a 20x15 box with 4 [simulated] leds that correspond to four
different network devices (pygtk). When they are green everything is
ok. It turns yellow when the corresponding device is pinged. If the
ping hangs it starts flashing yellow and red until the ping times out
and then stays solid red until it tries to ping again. It will
automatically reboot when it can't see my ISPs modem. I have it right
next to my pager and with a glance can tell the status of four
different network hops all the way to my mail server. Way nicer than
the absolutely meaningless lights on the X5. If anyone of you is
similarly cursed with such a beast, let me know and I'll clean it up
for export.

I think I might start keeping a [gnuplot-able] log file to see how
much of the time it's up...

Playing,
Chad

  • [pcplantdb] random interesting day, Chad Knepp, 12/17/2004