pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Mission and vision

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Mission and vision
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:29:44 +0000

Aloha,

> what is a mission versus a vision? (please refer to Johns's email
> below.)

I'll reiterate, with reference:

Based on info and processes in a book I've used and recommend - "The Path : Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life" By Laurie Beth Jones...

Mission statement is a phrase or sentence (no more) that captures the essence of what one (individual, group, whatever) is about.
All that one does can be seen to flow from the mission statement.
Conversely, one's mission statement can be seen to be reflected in all that one does.

Vision statement presents the "doing" of the mission - what does it look like in action? ...and does so as concisely as possible.

right now, I agree our vision might be too long for people to actually read it entirely. how can this be changed?

My take - the bare naked "doing" of PIW, grabbed from existing content:

"PIW is created by and for members of the Permaculture community. The PIW team is constructing and maintaining the website, and the content itself will be contributed by you – interested parties at the grassroots level. PIW will co-evolve with the needs and preferences of the Permaculture community, and grow with the information imparted by its members. The PIW team hopes you will both feed from and nourish this fertile resource."

All the rest of the current copy is IMO stuff that is relevant and important and not part of a clear and concise vision statement. I'd say it belongs on a top-level "About" page providing further information about what we're about.

aloha,