pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ahhh
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:07:48 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,

Implementation wise, I've been thinking that the root plant object
would actually only be a unique set of identifiers such as botanical
name. .... Anyway,
my question is what combination of nomenclature should we use to
identify a unique plant in the context of what will be the most useful
division to our users.

There are complications with botanical names in some situations, such as
bamboos - there are ongoing disagreements in some cases as to what the
"correct" name is for a given bamboo.
In other words even the experts don't agree on one name...I suppose you
could include several and it would be found via any one of them?

Yes indeed. This is an inescapable thing and names will be changing for the forseable future. The way I'd get round things is to choose an "accepted name" which to the best of our knowledge is the most uptodate name and to have all the other names as synonyms. That way people can always find the plant given the name that they know.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org