pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] What is a tree?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] What is a tree?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:18:49 -0700

hey, wouldn't it be fun if it was a mystery game - and you didn't know what
plants you got until the very end, after filling in all the functions you
needed satisfied?

and then voila - your mystery garden reveals itself!

what can I say, I make toys...

peace
*s

Richard Archer <pcplantdb@juggernaut.com.au> wrote:

At 5:27 PM +0100 8/9/04, Richard Morris wrote:

>plants can implement. Or maybe don't use the concept tree at all, stick
>to the constituent parts, such a woody, perennial, not branching at base
> and fits a particular ecological niche.

I agree. As far as the PIW project is concerned the scientific name of
a plant is only relevant once someone wants to order the plant from a
nursery. Until then, people will be searching on form and function to
identify the plant or group of plants they want to use.

Common names are even more useless!

...R.