pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Hey Richard Morris!

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Hey Richard Morris!
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:31:45 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, John Schinnerer wrote:

> > 4) Find another host which can provide Zope.
> > We would lose data this way!
>
> How so?
> None of the data on ibiblio (or anywhere else) is currently in our
> product, 'cause our product doesn't exist yet.
> It's all gonna hafta get input from somewhere 'outside' it sooner or later.

The single greatest resository of information on
permaculture lies in the permaculture mailing list!

Probably the best set of pc links about is on ibiblio.
etc.

Without new data this project could just turn out to be
another implementation of the pfaf db. This does not excite me
very much.

I do not want to see a fancy system with no data.

As far as I can see the best way to get data is to
use whats avaliable.

If we beleive that anyone not on this list is going to contribute data
in the next few years, then we are deluding ourselves.
Data will only come if we take steps to secure it.

Ain't noone apart from dev team who gives a toss about
how its done. J2EE looks the same a CGI in C looks the same
as php/nuke looks the same as Z*p*. Leed ddev likes zope,
seconday dev would not have chosen it (ever! based on an irrational fear
of all singing all dancing frameworks where I have to
change the way I code to meet the demands of the framework).

Personally I'd do it in java and keep all object live in memory
pfaf db is only 28MB a small mem footprint on a server!
(do take entirely seriously)

End of the day I want to stick close to the data.