pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] permacultureinfo, Permaculture Information Web Public List is up and running.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] permacultureinfo, Permaculture Information Web Public List is up and running.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:35:54 -0700

Hi Lawrence,

If you havn't sent to sanet, here is a quick description:

"The project is called Permaculture.info, and will provide an open
library of information about relationships between plants to assist with the
process of guild design. (Our ultimate intention is to create an open library
of information about everything Permaculture-related, a Permaculture
information web, so this project is part of long-term dedicated effort – but
we’re sticking to plant relationships for now.)"

Or you may cut and paste whatever you need from my initial draft of a post to
pc lists below. I wish you would have waited to get a description to send the
message to these lists...but oh well.

peace
*Stephanie

+++

Hello everybody,

My name is Stephanie, and I’m writing to you with wonderful news. A
Permaculture database project that a few of us have been looking to
initiate, and for which I have been submitting grant proposals under the
auspices of The Permaculture Institute, recently received funding from
the Threshold Foundation! So, I wanted to contact all yalls to introduce you
to the project, and solicit participation.

The project is called Permaculture.info, and will provide an open
library of information about relationships between plants. (Our ultimate
intention is to create an open library of information about everything
Permaculture-related, a Permaculture information web, so this project is part
of long-term dedicated effort – but we’re sticking to plant relationships
for now.) Currently, there is a wealth of information about individual plants
available (i.e. the PFAF database), but not a comprehensive resource regarding
the relationships *between* them. And considering that Permaculture, as with
other systems sciences, seeks to weave meaningful relationships between system
components in order to create self-regulating and regenerative systems,
relationships are of the essence. Permaculture.info will provide exactly this
information and will present it in a web-like manner – in other words, the
message will match the medium.

So here’s where you come in. We know that many of you have gleaned
valuable information about plant relationships from your own experiences, and
in a wide range of bioregions. We hope that you will contribute this
information, in the form of words, images, or otherwise, to this resource.
The effectiveness and informational value of Permaculture.info depends on you
– the more you add, the richer it will be. We are just starting up, getting
all the logistics in order and writing the initial code for the database, but
will be requesting data soon. And if you would like to get more involved, you
are welcome to join our listserv at ______.

Thank you, and we look forward to some good cross-pollination…

peace
*Stephanie

[Core Group]
Chad Knepp
Richard Morris
Lawrence London
John Schinnerer
John Howe
Stephanie Gerson
Scott Pittman

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

> BTW, will people who receive the subscription email know what it's about?
> Because I have a feeling that no one on this list has been following our
posts
> except for 5-6 of us.

They'll all know what its about. Probably most anyway. There aren't many here
to begin with but I hope the new list will have lots of subscribers.
I just announced it to the permaculture list. And I announced the permaculture
list
in the fuluoka farming list - this brought in nearly a dozen new users.

I think I'll go ahead and announce it in the sanet-mg list too, though I wish
I had a good project
description to append to the message. If anyone has this fire it off to me so
I can post to sanet in the next hour.