pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] .p.r.o.j.e.c.t..p.l.a.n.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] .p.r.o.j.e.c.t..p.l.a.n.
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:12:11 -0700

Your mission, if you choose to accept it:

∑ Everyone
1. Read this project plan!
2. Final verdict on platform issue
3. Vote on name: Permaculture Information Web or Open Permaculture
Project?
4. Whoever is in charge of shared web workspace (as determined Week 1)
creates it – Who is responsible for this? And was this ever done?
5. Update me on your status regarding your tasks
6. Send me any ideas you have for potential funders (i.e. Lawrence
recommended the Noble Foundation and Rich sent me a list – these
suggestions are super helpful for me)
7. Respond to the questions below

∑ John S.
1. set up issue tracking system and whatever data/parameters/
customizations are necessary to start using it on our project
2. prepares and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue
tracker and general software test/QA procedures and guidelines
3. organize for user test of first “build” (to start happening weekly in
1-3 weeks?)

∑ Chad and Rich (are you two communicating with each other?)
1. Finish demo accounting/budgeting app. in ZODB w/CLI
2. Create a Zope front end for app (to learn Zope)
3. a working database (with no real data) with php connection and simple
front end (basically just checking that the different bits can work
together)
4. issue tracker working, cvs working, zope working
5. Get it running somewhere/somehow
6. Rich – start doing whatever needs to be done in order to get the
latest version of PFAF that is under the CC-BY-NC-SA (2 weeks to
complete)

∑ John Howe
1. Get your “box” set up to start the project
2. Review changes in the configuration of Zope 2.7.2 for releasing it to
development access
3. Get zope deployment platform setup for Chad (sometime in the next 3-4
weeks)
4. Back-end Q/A assistance (throughout process)

∑ Scott (you thought I’d forget you?)
1. re-connect with Threshold if you don’t hear from them in 2 weeks

∑ Stephanie
1. write first draft of email describing project to PC lists, sends to
team for feedback (on hold for now)
2. write up description user interface/experience, send to list
3. re-connect with Paula
4. Accrue necessary funds for Ibiblio’s server, if we decide to pursue
that plan
5. make new list of possible funders, including suggestions from
Lawrence, Rich, and others

Questions
1. So ummm….whatever happened to that wiki? Would we like to continue
using it? And is our un-use of it a testament to the wiki’s failure as a
collaborative decision-making tool, or a testament to our own laziness
for using something other than this listserv?

2. Chad and Rich – I am currently combining both of your tasks. Should I
not do this, or can you two communicate collectively about your joint
tasks and divide responsibility amongst yourselves? If you would like me
to separate your tasks, I’d be glad to, just let me know.

3. So I am learning a lot at my new job. Isn’t that nice. I’m working
for a company that creates interactive educational toys, but apart from
what I am learning content/information-wise, I am also learning quite a
bit about project management – which is great for us! And one thing we
do there is send weekly “status reports” to the people we work with.
This procedure is very helpful in assessing where we’re at, what needs to
be done, etc. So, my question (more of a solicitation) is this: I
request that all of you (Scott is exempt, as long as he joins the
discussion periodically) send me weekly status reports. Say, every
Sunday. And refer to every single one of your tasks. That is why I
numbered them, so you could simply write: 1,4,5 – complete, 2 and 3 –
I’m
still working on it. Or something like that. Is this unnecessary?
Right now, it might feel like it. But once we really dig in, it will
help me manage the project better. (But I’m glad that I’m getting
practice with different strategies for managing the project before we’ve
dug in…!)

Also, you might have noticed no dates on this task list. I’m going to
keep excluding the dates for now – and simply send out a weekly or bi-
weekly list of tasks, updating as necessary. When we have date-specific
deadlines, I’ll let you know. But it seems that the dates were just
stressing us out, and made more work for me. Todo bien?