pcplantdb - Re: Relationships database + feayures and functions [Was: Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Relationships database + feayures and functions [Was: Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link]
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:57:15 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

> Relationships appear in different contexts:
> > 1) within guilds (mixed organisms, i.e. snails + clematis)
> 2) communities (one organism, many communities)
> 3) within stacked functions
> 4) within the major/macro components of a pc system or within or
> between pc zones, climate
> 5) within micro systems, i.e. soil environment: mammals, birds,
> reptiles, invertibrates, insects, microorganisms; bacteria, fungi,
> arthropods, actinomycetes, protozoa, nematodes, prokaryotes,
> eukaryotes, viruses, as well as the soil profile and makeup,
> enzymes, macro and micronutrients, CEC, pH, OM content

And there are a lot of different kinds of relationships in a range
from positive to antagonistic; many of them subtle.

True. Ex.: the subtle relationship between nitrogen fixing bacteria and their
host plants -
creating a soil environment favorable to establishment of chemical/other
signalling used to accomplish this.
Use the relationships database to gather critical data about plants and the environment most favorable to them for robust, healthy growth; information that can be used to design, plan and build a successful guild or permaculture system.

> HG, as a way of teaching or illustrating ideas and concepts, could
> provide galaxies of external links to outside educational
> resources. This would assist and encourage users who submit
> resources to the database. Of course these links would be part of
> the database. This is something I am curious about: what
> proportion of the total body of information made available by HG
> would be non-HG proprietary resources gleaned from outside sources?

Yes, I can see permaculture.info serving a portal function.

That's a good way to put it.