pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:29:39 -0700

Richard Morris wrote:
In particular the Annotea
project <http://www.w3.org/2001/Annotea/> part of w3c's semantic web
stuff <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/> looks interesting.
Now annotation is kind of cool for our purposes. We might want to
annotate content in various ways.
Here content could be:
the information about a plant
an article (say someones opion piece on self-willed land)
other media (photos, sound, movies)
And the annotation could be
a comment about the content
a rating for how good the content is
author info (?)

A standard class for annotation could be a good idea?

Currently the pfaf site could be seen to follow a content-annotation scheme. In that none of the content can be changed, but users
are able to add anotation (comments) to most of the content
(basically static web pages and plant database pages).

Annotation/comments on each record(*) displayed in database search results
could get interesting and bear fruit for building a network of relationships
between objects (object = db record?).
Allowing wikilike editing/formatting of comments would allow for embedded
"links" to other info (could clicking on one of these
wiki-like "links' initiate/spawn another db search using that link as keyword
to produce a string of results analygous to
a "picture" of a network of relationships to the original record(*). Curious
whether this text-based info display could be ported to some
fancy graphical mapping rendering.

Of course some content will be more Wiki like.

I have been looking through my books on html, shtml, ssi, object and id tags and other stuff. Maybe xhtml and xml later as I beging to understand what that is all about.

Rich:

I use Hyoermail and mhonarc to create mini mail2html archives - very handy. I
wonder if there is any way to convert these from
html to xhtml or xml and would there be any advantage as far as HG access these archives as external "datasets". Mailman archives are basically Unox mail files and can be concerted to Hyoermail and mhonarc archives - same with Unix mail folders (Pine), Netscape
and Mozilla (Thunderbird also) email folders can also be concerted this way.
Makes for getting one's valuable email collections
of topical information in a Web accessable format easy - indexable by Google
and sortable 4 ways.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> > <http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/apr03/mattison.shtml>
> > Quickiwiki, Swiki, Twiki, Zwiki and the Plone Wars Wiki as a PIM and Collaborative Content Tool
> by David Mattison ? Access Services Archivist ? British Columbia Archives, Cananda
_____

Most relavant quote for us:

DM: What are your thoughts about wikis as hypertext-based information retrieval tools?

BL: Wiki is an absurdly simple database tool, very informal. Probably optimal for the kind of ill-defined or shifting needs that an individual has for organizing personal notes or for Web-published meanderings. Less suited to formal database environments where entry format must be specified and access more controlled. That said, wiki implementations have been constructed as front ends for MySQL engines, corporate team tools, and support sites. Wiki has scaled far better than expected.

Impressive! I would like to see examples of this.

By all means have a look at TikiWiki which in addition to being a wiki with
robust features is also a CMS.
Could TikiWiki be hacked to become a/or part of a front end for HG; maybe the
CMS could be utilized for HG purposes in this fashion.