pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] The wiki link
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:42:27 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

This is a pretty cool article, still seems pretty forward looking at
over a year old. Even more interesting than what it was saying about
wikis were some of the related developing technologies.

Stephanie, you gotta check out Haystack.
<http://haystack.lcs.mit.edu/> Is this what you were looking for?

Rich, have you thought about the possibilities of using WebDAV for the
client side editing. I don't actually know much about it. There are
other interesting links on the page.

Does sound very interesting.

In particular the Annotea
project <http://www.w3.org/2001/Annotea/> part of w3c's semantic web
stuff <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/> looks interesting.

Now annotation is kind of cool for our purposes. We might want to
annotate content in various ways.
Here content could be:
the information about a plant
an article (say someones opion piece on self-willed land)
other media (photos, sound, movies)
And the annotation could be
a comment about the content
a rating for how good the content is
author info (?)

A standard class for annotation could be a good idea?

Currently the pfaf site could be seen to follow a content-annotation scheme. In that none of the content can be changed, but users
are able to add anotation (comments) to most of the content
(basically static web pages and plant database pages).

Of course some content will be more Wiki like.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> > <http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/apr03/mattison.shtml>
> > Quickiwiki, Swiki, Twiki, Zwiki and the Plone Wars Wiki as a PIM and Collaborative Content Tool
> by David Mattison ? Access Services Archivist ? British Columbia Archives,
Cananda
_____

Most relavant quote for us:

DM: What are your thoughts about wikis as hypertext-based information retrieval tools?

BL: Wiki is an absurdly simple database tool, very informal. Probably optimal for the kind of ill-defined or shifting needs that an individual has for organizing personal notes or for Web-published meanderings. Less suited to formal database environments where entry format must be specified and access more controlled. That said, wiki implementations have been constructed as front ends for MySQL engines, corporate team tools, and support sites. Wiki has scaled far better than expected.

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719