pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] sharing the surplus...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "Permaculture Plant DB project" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] sharing the surplus...
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:36:34 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

This is from a friend of mine - in case anyone can use one or both of these to
further the pcplantdb work or similar "surplus sharing" endeavors, let me know
and I will see if they are still available. The source is in Southern
California, USA, so figure shipping from there...if you are a non-profit that
can offer a tax write-off for the donation that would be appreciated too.

cheers,
John S.

> ---------------------
> We're surplussing two more computers, linux boxes at that, so I thought
I've give you first crack. Today's offering: A pair of Cobalt Qubes.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/cobalt-qube-2.html

> These would be 1999-vintages Qubes: mips processors, 6 GB and 30 GB
> drives respectively, rock solid Linux 2.0 kernels.

> > > There were so cheap, I kept one around for back-up and utility
> work.
> > > These were my workhorses for years: web serving, NAT, DHCP, fileserving
(Appletalk and Samba), firewalling. and zero
> > > maintenance. They were designed to be operated by non-techies, and
> > > they delivered. I had very, very few problems in 4 1/2 years of used,
despite being the single most mission-critical machine in the
> > > house.
> > > They still make fine web servers, but I think they have special merit
> > > as firewalls: who writes buffer overflows against a MIPS
> processor?

> > > Now, to the obvious question. Why am I letting them go? Basically,
> > > because I no longer need them. THe NAT/Firewall/DHCP work has been
> > > passed off to a dedicated linksys device, while the webserving and
> > > file serving got moved to an updgraded iMac DV. (70 gb disk wallowing
in all that BSD/Mac OS X goodness).

> > > THe 30 GB Qube is being a little flaky, so it may have some sort
> of hardware degradation. Or maybe, while screwing around as root, I bumped
something I shouldn't have. The 6 gb machine is totally
> rock solid. (except that all Qubes of this generation have a know bug
> in their apple talk servers that makes them flaky for large file
> transfers.).

> > > Okay -- that's all.

Cultural & Ecological Designing

  • [pcplantdb] sharing the surplus..., John Schinnerer, 10/29/2003