pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Query: pictures in MS access

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Query: pictures in MS access
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rich,

>From Access 2000 Help - if this is relevant to what you're trying to do - you
need extra filters installed for anything but BMP or WMF:

----------------------------
Graphic filters and file formats Microsoft Access can use

You can insert many popular graphics file formats into a form, report, or data
access page either directly or with the use of separate graphics filters by
using the Picture command on the Insert menu. For forms and reports, you don't
need a separate graphics filter installed to insert Enhanced Metafile (.emf),
Windows bitmap (.bmp, .rle, .dib), Windows Metafile (.wmf), and icon (.ico)
graphics. However, you do need a graphics filter installed to insert all other
graphics file formats listed below.

Graphics file formats requiring separate graphics filters
Computer Graphics Metafile (.cgm) Kodak Photo CD (.pcd)
CorelDRAW (.cdr) Macintosh PICT (.pct)
Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) PC Paintbrush (.pcx)
FlashPix (.fpx) Portable Network Graphics (.png)
Graphic Interchange Format (.gif) Tagged Image File Format (.tif)
Hanako (.jsh, .jah, .jbh) WordPerfect Graphics (.wpg)
JPEG File Interchange Format (.jpg) X-Bitmap (.xbm)

For pages, you don't need a separate graphics filter installed to insert
Windows bitmap (.bmp, .rle, .dib) graphics. However, you do need a graphics
filter installed to insert Graphic Interchange Format (.gif), JPEG File
Interchange Format (.jpg), Portable Network Graphics (.png), and X-Bitmap
(.xbm) graphics.

The separate graphics filters are not supplied with the stand-alone version of
Microsoft Access 2000. To use the filters, you need to install Microsoft
Office 2000 Professional Edition, Microsoft Office 2000 Premier Edition, or a
stand-alone version of Microsoft Word 2000 along with your stand-alone version
of Access 2000.

Note For more information on each separate graphics filter, see your Word
documentation.
----------------------

BTW I don't support using Access for the PC plant DB (not sure if that's what
you're proposing here?). It's not open source, and I'll leave it at that...
:-/

cheers,
John S.

> Folks,
> I've been working on the PFAF access versions of the database,
> but have run into a problem with pictures. I'd like to include
> 400 - 1000 pictures in the database, however the standard
> picture object only seems to support BMP format which makes storage
> requirements just way too big.
>
> Does anone know of some easy way to include pictures in
> access with a reasonable file size? I'm guessing there might be
> some sort of COM/ActiveX controller which would do this, anyone know
> of such a beast?
>
> Rich

Cultural & Ecological Designing