pchealth - Re: [pchealth] A complete meal with miso soup. (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pchealth] A complete meal with miso soup. (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:02:15 -0500

Chris Wardle wrote:
Thanks to Lawrence for the Miso Soup recipe.
I'm wondering if list members have information on the process/recipes for the core Miso Paste ingredients?
I ask as there seems to be a wealth of Soya Beans grown here in Pakistan, but precious little production of Tofu, Miso and other fermented Soy products and the one (18 month old) article I have been able to find <http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20080509f3.html> puts Miso paste production into the category of a dying art.
Makes me wonder if understanding the processes, trying them out at home and then building awareness and skills, might be a useful way of improving maternal and child health and form the basis for the design of development programmes with a strong permaculture link?
So, can anyone point me to English language resources (sorry for my linguistic incompetence) or existing programmes, on building community skills in this traditional Japanese dietary art?
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris Wardle.
> ~~~~~
> Currently with Oxfam GB in Pakistan
> Online at Facebook/Skype/Twitter/LinkedIn: cjwardle
> Mobile: +92 333 784 1679

Certainly. You can buy the ingredients you need to make miso and natto,
koji and natto spores, from Natural Import Co. and all the books you need to learn the craft from Amazon.com and other booksellers online.

http://www.naturalimport.com/koji_and_natto
Traditional Koji & Natto Spores
Koji is the natural inoculator for making miso, shoyu, natto and many other Japanese specialty fermented foods. Mitoku Brown Rice & Barley Koji are handmade by the Marukura Family from selected whole brown rice and barley.
Natto-Moto, or Natto Spores are the key starter in making Japanese fresh natto. Use these essentials to make your own delicious, natural Japanese culinary treats at home!

For Delicious Homemade Mugi Miso
http://www.naturalimport.com/barley_koji
Mitoku Barley Koji is made from the finest quality selected barley, which is steamed, then inoculated with spores of Aspergillus Oryzae mold, and incubated under strictly controlled conditions. The koji is left to develop for approximately 48 hours, after which it is covered with an intricate bloom of mold filaments. It is then taked out and dried quickly, to preserve it for use in making the finest country-style mugi miso.
In Japan, for centuries barley has been used to prepare the richest, heartiest miso, and this tradition still persists in rural areas today. Each area, each village, and even each household has its own particular recipe which is treasured for its special taste and aroma.
Start your own tradition of miso making, using this special concentrated dried koji. All you need to add is cooked soybeans and salt.
For further details on making mugi miso, please refer to the "Book of Miso", by Shurteff and Aoyagi. (Autumn Press & Ballantine).

So, you see, the two books to have are:

William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi
The Book of Tofu
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tofu-William-Shurtleff/dp/0345351819/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1
and
William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi
The Book of Miso
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Miso-William-Shurtleff/dp/1580083366/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2

You should be able to find copies of these two books, paperback for sure, maybe hardback.
They are all available from Amazon.com (or other used book dealers online or book dealer portal sites). Am looking now and see that the paperback versions are available used at under $10.00.
Here is the William Shurtleff Amazon page (3 of them):
http://www.amazon.com/William-Shurtleff/e/B001HO3KJ6/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0/178-2062732-7221727

This is the book you really need and its available too. See this Amazon page and study all of it carefully:

William Shurtleff (Author)
› Visit Amazon's William Shurtleff Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author
Miso Production: The Book of Miso, Vol. II (Soyfoods Production, 1)
(Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/Miso-Production-Book-Vol-Soyfoods/dp/0933332009/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_6
See especially this page:
http://www.amazon.com/Miso-Production-Book-Vol-Soyfoods/dp/0933332009/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_6#reader_0933332009
(Author), Akiko Aoyagi (Author) "This chapter is a description of typical traditional shops as they are now operated in Japan..." (more)
Key Phrases: mature miso, koji trays, soybean steamer, The Book of Miso (more...)
5 new from $51.95 6 used from $51.94

You might want to consider Tempeh and Kudzu also:

The Book of Tempeh (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author) (Author), Akiko Aoyagi (Author, Illustrator)
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tempeh-William-Shurtleff/dp/1580083358/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3
6 new from $55.94 21 used from $8.79

Book of Tempeh/the Delicious, Cholesterol-Free Protein, 130 Recipes (Harper Colophon Books) (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
(Author), Akiko Aoyagi (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Delicious-Cholesterol-Free-Protein-Recipes-Colophon/dp/0060912650/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4
15 used from $2.97

History of Tempeh: A Fermented Soyfood from Indonesia (Soyfoods History Series) (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
1 new from $133.90
http://www.amazon.com/History-Tempeh-Fermented-Indonesia-Soyfoods/dp/0933332211/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

The Book of Kudzu (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
(Author), Akiko Aoyagi (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Kudzu-William-Shurtleff/dp/0895292874/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_5
Reviews:
Kudzu the plant that could save us., September 26, 2009
By Marvelous Bunny "marvelousbunny" (NC)
Kudzu is growing all over the public spaces where we live, especially in the south. Every day the papers are full of ads for animals that are being given away or neglected because the owners don't have enough money for feed. Kudzu could be used to save small farms and animals. We need to think outside the box and use this plant to our benefit and get people to harvest it from the public spaces. In the last depression a department of public works was created to give people jobs and it worked. We can do the same thing and Kudzu can be a part of the plan.
The awful truth of the matter is that somebody is making money on our stupidity and apathy. They could use this plant to finish the animals before slaughter, instead of GMO corn and soy. MONSANTO profits from the GMO foods as they get us ready for their nightmare of a "trans-genetic world" in which they want to own the food chain. (To learn more about the dangers of GMO go to [...] and order THE WORLD ACCORDING TO MONSANTO.) We could use this plant to feed the poor and also sell it for profit. It is considered a great delicacy in Japan as well as an herbal remedy. You can even make cloth out of it! I would say it was right up there with hemp.
This book was very interesting and I hope you will check it out and learn about Kudzu an important versatile plant.
The Book of Kudzu, May 20, 2001
By A Customer
Great book on all you need to know about Kudzu powder. There are recipes, history of kudzu, and instructions on making the powder. The book however, is limited to uses and receipes of the powder only and does not include uses of the leaves, shoots, roots, etc. Interesting and worth buying.

Another: Amazaki

Amazake and Amazake Frozen Desserts: Industry and Market in the North America = [Amazake] (Spiral-bound)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
› Visit Amazon's William Shurtleff Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author
1 new from $325.77
http://www.amazon.com/Amazake-Frozen-Desserts-Industry-America/dp/0933332386/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_10

Also:

Thesaurus for Soya/Spiral: Computerized Data Bibliographic Database on Soybean Utilization, Processing, Marketing Nutrition, Production, and History, 1100 (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
› Visit Amazon's William Shurtleff Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author
Are you an author? Learn about Author Central
(Author), Akiko Aoyagi (Author)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
List Price: $9.95
http://www.amazon.com/Thesaurus-Soya-Spiral-Computerized-Bibliographic/dp/0933332246/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_7

Tofu As a Potentially Hazardous Food: Crisis or Opportunity? (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Author)
› Visit Amazon's William Shurtleff Page
1 new from $254.27
http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Potentially-Hazardous-Food-Opportunity/dp/0933332653/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_8

Green Vegetable Soybeans and Vegetable-Type Soybeans: Bibliography and Sourcebook, 3rd Century A.D. to 1994 : Detailed Information on 648 Published Documents ... a.D. to 1994 : Detailed Information on 648) (Paperback)
~ William Shurtleff
William Shurtleff (Compiler)
› Visit Amazon's William Shurtleff Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author
Are you an author? Learn about Author Central
(Compiler), Akiko Aoyagi (Compiler)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
Available from these sellers.
1 new from $100.00