pcdb - Re: [pcdb] hopelessly linear models

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] hopelessly linear models
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:31:32 -0700

i'm on the same wavelength about human centrality here, and i think this
is very interesting, but also very open ended. do you have any concrete
ideas about implementation or even user interaction
Warning -- I am relatively non-technical.

A useful tool would create linkages to existing high quality internet information outside the platform, as well as reference non-digital published materials. A internet support for sustainable living practice would help folks to find ideas, and then leave a trail of breadcrumbs for the next person that comes along. Like neural pathways, repeated positive connections would be reinforced and support the next user. A user feedback system would be critical to maintain and build connections between ideas/concepts. I suspect to require the ideas/concepts to actually be housed within the platform would be a deal-killer. The power of the internet is that server location is potentially irrelevant. The trick is in Pc fashion, creating beneficial relationships among existing information. I'd even imagine a google-ish webcrawler with permaculture goggles on supported by user-generated ratings. Perhaps the database is a database of links (I think of Mr. London's link list).

Could you have a site that serves as a browser interface, that lets you record impressions about the pages you visit, and logs information about those sites so that the next person who dons the Pc browser can benefit from the previous experience? As you surf you hit flags, and push stars and indicate moments of inspiration, categorizing and ranking, all being logged, and linked to your user profile (that indicates your ecoregion and self-identified purposes). Creating a collective 'favorites' that guides the next user...

Issues:
- shortage of information rich content on-line and time spent trying to find it.
- limited incentive for skilled and knowledgeable individuals to build information rich content.
- much high value info to permie-like people is not self-identified as permie.

_c