pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Permaculture Plant Database now online]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Permaculture Plant Database now online]
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:04:52 +1000

Hi Lawrence et al,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> In a previous life (shortly after completing my PDC in 1991) I developed
> Plant Professor, a commercial software package containing thousands of
> plants.

An interesting response to doing a PDC, but nonetheless in line
with most people's thinking in the early 90's.

> Rather than upgrading the application I decided to put it on the internet,

Such a vague term - 'put it on the Internet'.

Sadly their website is running ASP (MS Windows Server) and
this quote on the web page means it's not much use to us :

>> " This information is not in the public domain. "

As a complete aside, I've started hoeing into my PDB applet, and
it's in a totally unusable state now. I've done the schema design
for the organism side, and am starting to develop the pages now
to do updates to same. This is partly because it's fairly interesting
(I'm learning CodeIgniter framework in the process) but mostly
because I'm still procrastinating about how to do relationship
mapping between organisms, and how to describe and manage
non-organism entities (compost, mulch, fences, structures, water
and so on).

In the very short term I basically just want a replacement of my
private wiki where I record details on plant behaviour and weather
patterns in my area, so I can (in the future) track variations and,
of course, which varieties do better for me, and at what time of
year. A wiki is handy for one person, but it's going to get more
and more useless the more data I put into it (and hence the more
information I want to get out of it).

Jedd.