pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Another installation of Mediawiki for general use by permaculture community

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Another installation of Mediawiki for general use by permaculture community
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 23:21:08 -0500

jedd wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Rich Morris wrote:

I don't really see the need for another wiki, the current one would be
fine to include the material you mention.

In the context of this list, and the subject of a permaculture DB
proper, I'm still unsure of the intent (including lifespan and plan
for migration of data to any subsequent genuine permaculture
database system) of the extant wiki.

I am curious about this too, mostly because the domain is owned by Scott and
Permaculture Institute
(permaculture.info), where the wiki and all collected data resides. Where
does PCI want it to go?
How long will it be hosted at ibiblio?

I questioned the practicality of my doing large amounts of work helping build
that wiki
and using it as a repository for permaculture resources I have gleaned over
the years.
In thebeginning it was suggested that we "abandon our personal projects and
instead contribute to/do those projects in
the pc plant db". The idea that it is not my best option to farm using
borrowed or rented land has impressed me of late.

I am grateful to Rich and Scott for permaculture.info and will continue to contribute to it. I think Scott wants it to be a resource on permaculture guilds and plant relationships.

Several of us have already begun work on a new wiki at ibiblio at
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture.
This will be an integrated system utilizing MediaWiki (wiki), Wordpress
(blog) and BBPress (forum).
The front end to this system will either be a webpage or Wordpress; not decided yet. BBPress offers some sort of integration capability so we will see whether that will provide an acceptable front end.

The name of this system is PermacultureWiki. It will be a general resource on
permaculture and related topics.
Assuming permaculture to be an umbrella discipline then such things as agriculture, farming and gardening will be subtopics, all related to permaculture.

This system is of, by and for the greater global permaculture community and, of course, members of significant subscribers to permaculture forums and others related to permaculture such as the pfaf list, soil & health, em ag,
biodynamics, market garening and my new forum sustag@lists.ibiblio.org, sustainable agriculture. It will be permanently located at ibiblio in order to take advantage of the excellent and robust services that ibiblio offers for free including the ability of sysops to have direct access to the filesystem through an ibiblio personal shell account.

I would like to build a development group who would have sysop privileges as
well as write access to the webspace
/public/html/permaculture on ibiblio in order to implement system upgrades, make modifications, install extensions (MediaWiki "plugins") and perform general wiki maintenance.

Who would like participate in this development group?

Lawrence