pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Summary Of Ideas and Things to Vote on

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Summary Of Ideas and Things to Vote on
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:53:02 -0800

Sean Maley wrote:

----- Original Message ----
From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
Subject: [pcdb] Summary Of Ideas and Things to Vote on

I. Method of coming to final agreements: Republic, Democracy, or Consensus?
Democracy and Representation create top down authority.

Interesting question...

We have strong information and labor asymetry (some have more time and information than others) -- power will naturally congregate around those who have the capacity to act in cyberspace. Software has the tendency to create nodes of power around information asymetry. (Its just like realestate agents and lawyers and other trades that attain status by monopolizing information). Voluteer organizations have the tendency to create power around those who have the time to act.

Formal self governance comes with consequences and rules. I am tempted to say that we can't answer this question yet because we don't know what the costs, stakes or consequences are. A system of governance would transfer power from those with time and technical information to those with less time or information. As one with less technical information I am not needing to receive that power at this time -- I have no stake.

Outside of ownership of web space and technical knowledge, all individuals have and always retain power over their labor.

We have no corporate interest. I believe we are still at the stage of defining a project. Individuals who want to create something are entitled to do so, but they may or may not attract a following -- and this will hold true to the end regardless of governance until there is cash flow involved which makes people do all kinds of weird things. We are still forming the ideas. When we have a clear idea then individuals will choose if they become invested, and when individuals become invested in a mutual goal, then they can work on the pre-nuptual arrangements.