pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] To wiki or not to wiki]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] To wiki or not to wiki]
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:54:17 -0800

Rich this is very interesting... I have been wondering about Wikis for a long time but had no idea what they could do.
Let me get this strait. You took your PFAF database, and used a custom module to use it to create a massive Wiki with an article for each plant, assigning categories to specified fields. The Wiki then

Once you create the wiki, is it then detached from the source data?

{{prop|Soil Type|light}} and is this formatting simply using wiki formatting to assign the text to a category hierarchy... category property, subcategory soil type, value = light or something like that.

To show what can be done with a wiki I've now got a wiki with the pfaf database in it at
http://www.pfaf.org/wiki/index.php

I've added some extensions to media wiki to make it easier to use more semantic style elements

What is a semantic style element?
What you refer to as the 'template mechanism' -- is this a tool in the wiki toolkit?

I've got a lot of techno-language to catchup on. Can you identify a free info source that can give me an understanding of exactly what a wiki is doing, how the interface works with the data, and the vocabulary that goes along with that so I can communicate better.

Thanks!!
Paul