pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:26:09 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:29:55 -0800 (PST)
From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

LL wrote:
The mainstream media is dominated by corporate interests
so people must be shown the path to alternate news and information resources.
At one time there was interest in this list in creating an online permaculture relational database,
showing relationships between elements in a permaculture system. I had hoped that this would become a global project
that would offer the opportunity for people to enter data from their own bioregion for the benefit of others in that
part of the world and those elsewhere interested in learning from their work. Since that project seems to have e-vaporated maybe it is time to start a new online permaculture information resource, not using databases but
wikis, blogs, websites, webforums, distributed systems, linked components and similar software tools. Anyone interested in participating in the startup of something like this?

Lawrence:

If you're still interested in creating a database, I like the clarity a
relational database brings to complex systems.

If you have a server with mysql, apache, and php to which you are willing to give me ssl and ftp access, I can guarantee one day a month to:
designing the database layout,
creating the database;
creating tables, indexes, constraints;
and writing simple php pages (non object oriented coding) to both access and
enter data.

While I'm aware that one day a month isn't much, it's what you can be assured of from me ....and I'd be in it for the long haul.

I'd need a much clearer idea of how you envisioned the database and I'd need an expert in each field of study to point out the key data point to collect from people:

-say for a wind turbine generator installation:

windProject table:
( rowID, projectID,projectName, longitude, latitude, windZone, expectedDaysUseableWind,towerHeight,towerMaterialConstruction,testedVAOutputAvg)

windMeasurement table:
(rowID,projectID,dateMeasured,measuringTowerHeight,timeMeasured,avgWindSpeed )

windTurbine table:
(rowID,projectID,turbineType,turbineMake,turbineModel,minWindSpeed,minOutput,maxWindSpeed, maxOutput,turbineWeight,turbineDimensions,turbinePropDimensions)

whatcha think?

negiliblek