pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Wikipedia's Permaculture Problems]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Wikipedia's Permaculture Problems]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:21:49 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:21:10 -0800
From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>

Thanks Graham,

Here here! I've always noticed that within permaculture talk there is
often a sense of mystery about what permaculture is, and that mystery
and a resulting 'over-inclusiveness' leads to conversational divergance
that can decrease the power and focus of the analysis. I suspect that
this has a lot to do with that permaculture is just really hard work,
wrestling with enormous complexity, and is relatively solitary due to
the amount of observation, and alternatives analysis required. It takes
design into the realm of natural history and ecosystem science, which
also has had tremendous trouble translating itself into a vernacular
without loosing meaning.

I would suggest that ironically that despite this, the development of
effective 'permaculture ready' tools and techniques is absolutely
necessary to the expansion of use (i.e. creating more 'designers')...
however tools and techniques may necessarily be developed at a
bioregional level (or even sub-bioregion) and involve the crunching
information to identify what local technological elements are most
effectively incorporated into a permaculture design or can be imported
from other places with desireable outcomes. For example -- something
which I have been looking for -- taking the available breeds of poultry,
understanding their variable adaptation to my local climate, and then
deconstructing the differences between the various breeds in terms of
variations in input/process/output analysis. In other words, doing some
of the preliminary assessment work to reduce the information load, so it
is easier to pickup a tool and use it in a permaculture design network.
Perhaps this understanding of poultry is currently or are at risk of
becoming 'lost knowledge', and gainful information reduction is time
consuming to do without compensation.

I have found that Permawiki struggles because it picks a topic, and then
tries to provide a 'encyclopedia entry' on that topic, which is better
accomplished in other venues. I'd rather see a 'permaculture analysis'
using well cited, high quality sources of information, but really I'd
like to see someone doing some of the hard work of permaculture for me ;)

Paul

Graham wrote:

Hi Larry, probably I didn't express myself too well last night as had
after all imbibed a few fine ales!

What I meant by my comments was more that permaculture is a set of
ethics (earthcare, peoplecare, fairshares), principles (work with
nature, problem is solution, minimum effort:max effect, everything
gardens, or Mr Holmgren's newer definitions) and design methods (zones
and sectors, OBREDIM, input and output analysis, making links and
connections etc, etc). Specific tools and techniques (such as say, herb
spirals, no dig beds or creating forest gardens) on the other hand may
be used within permaculture frameworks but are not, as of themselves
'permaculture'.

On the permaculture introductory courses that I run I start with a
session called "What is permaculture?" wherin I get particpants to talk
about various problems encountered in cities, and possible solutions,
eg;
Problem; lack of access to good quality, locally grown organic food -
solution; get an allotment
Problem; lack of economic power caused by unemployent, low wages, etc
Solution; Join a LETS system
Problem; lack of decent transport links - Solution; Create safe cycle
networks
Problem; lack of access to green space - Solution; create community
gardens on unused urban space
Problem; Waste and polllution - Solution; Set up community composting
and recycling projects.

We discuss these ideas for 20 or 30 minutes, talking about what good
ideas they are and sharing personal experiences of involvement with such
ideas.

I then make the point that these are 5 excelent solutions to 5 problems,
but they are NOT permaculture...

BUT when we begin to make links and connections, eg, situating allotment
and veg growing beds in the community gardens, sell excess produce via
LETS, set up bicycle trailer delivery systems to drop off veg and take
away green waste for composting, etc, etc, these 5 ideas and strategies
become ELEMENTS WITHIN A PERMACULTURAL SYSTEM.

In other words, tools, techniques and strategies aren't of themselves
permaculture, they are simply elements and its how they are linked and
connected with each other that defines whether they are part of a
permacultural system.

Hope thats clarified my thinking a little...

Cheers Graham