pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Permaculture Database, Wikis vs SQL

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Permaculture Database, Wikis vs SQL
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:08:17 -0500

Richard Archer wrote:
I must say, I'm quite excited about the initial vision
negiliblek outlined in his (?) original post. The ability
to analyse a data set to find a set of synergistic plants
and other permaculture elements is a fascinating project.

For the type of analysis we're hoping to achieve, the data is
going to have to be extremely clean and highly structured.
In my opinion, this requires that the data be collected via
a rigidly structured form with comprehensive data validation.

In contrast, have a look at the Dandelion page on the PermaWiki:
http://permaculture.wikia.com/wiki/Dandelion

There is some good info on that page, but it couldn't possibly
be used to locate other plants that could exist in harmony.
The data is just too freeform. Instead there would need to
be a structure so that you could cross-reference the requirements
of dandelion against the requirements of other elements and
also the abilities of dandelion with the requirements of
other elements.

The argument is raised that "people won't want to enter data
into all those little boxes... it's all too hard for them".
Well, maybe that's so, but there's no point collecting the
information if you can't use it for anything useful. It is
much better to have a lesser amount of highly structured data
which can be effectively utilised.

From this I am convinced that a database should be part of this project and
that we can not do without it.

> The argument is raised that "people won't want to enter data
> into all those little boxes... it's all too hard for them".

I am also convinced that we cannot do without Mediawiki.

We need both these tools. Those who will use the database can do so. Those who
can't or won't use it can and probably will use the Wiki. Someone can glean their input, if useful, from the wiki and enter it inot the Db. I have advocated this idea for years, use a wiki as a watering hole and data accumulation spot
from which useful information can be gleaned and entered into the database. I
am sure that would happen.

negiliblek wrote:

> It appears that a wiki what most lean towards; I'd love to do a database
> and will try to promote this idea once everyone weighs in.

The database should happen and you and Richard should have the opportunity to
work on it.

> I'm betting The Blog, Google CoOp, RSS will follow (and the galleries
> of course); they seem too irresistable.

Very irrestible. Easy to set up and use. I really like this concept.
Is it possible to have a random text field in a database that can receive an
RSS feed?
I assume that it could at the least provide a link to our blog that does
display RSS
feeds from certain info sources. This open up great possibilities. Juicy.

I hope we can go with Db, Wiki and the other eye candy apps :-)

I will have tons of hi res photographs to submit, videos, audio, lots of text
from my
archives (I wrote a hand garden tools sourcelist I'd like to include with our
resources)
and an ongoing photodocumentary on my use of Permaculture on my market farm;
this will
go deeper and become more expansive over time - should be interesting).

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl@intrex.net
info@market-farming.com
IM: lawrence.london@pandion.be & lfl@amber.org.uk
Market Farming
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farming.com/venaurafarm
Venaura Farm Blog
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/
Venaura Farm Gallery